Story Behind The Song: No Other

 


Help me lift my hands to no other.
You give the strength I need.
You are my victory.
Help me set my eyes on no other.
You give me sight to see
You're everything I need.

Jesus, I believe in you.
Jesus, Lord of my life.
I surrender, I surrender, I surrender

Help me set my mind on no other.
You give me perfect peace.
You are my victory.
Help me bow before no other.
You are my holy King
Deserving everything.

You are my joy.
You are my peace.
You are my hope.
You are my Lord.
You are my God.
You are my King.

No Other is a prayer to be fully committed to Jesus and a declaration of who He is.  When we look at the Gospel of Jesus we see that the story begins with the holiness of God and the depravity of humanity.  God created us to be in communion with Him and because of the fall of humanity we are separated from Him.  We see throughout Scripture that God was not willing to leave chasm between us, but that He was going to make a way for us to enter back into relationship with Him.

In the Old Testament the people of God had to sacrifice pure and spotless animals for their sins.  This was not sustainable and not God's perfect solution.  Then came Jesus!  The pure and holy One!  The one who was tempted and never sinned.  The one who showed the world who the Father really is and what He is like.  He is the one who made the perfect sacrifice.  So God gave Him a name that is above every other name.  There is no other.  There is no other King, no other way to the Father, and no other sacrifice for sin needed.  His sacrifice was enough!

We want to give Him our perfect allegiance because He is worthy.  We can only do this through Him and being full of the Holy Spirit.  Our prayer is that we will give Him our full attention and love in response to the fact that He is Lord, God, and King!

As I was preparing to write about this song I reached out to Amanda and Lindsay to ask what they remember about writing No Other.  Lindsay shared that she remembers making a list who God is and then narrowing it down to what worked well together.  None of us realized until this point that the bridge is grouped into two sections.  One section is made up of His promises and the other His authority.

God promises us that He is our joy, peace, and hope.  In fact, these are fruits of the Holy Spirit.  God is Lord, God, and King.  There is no one and nothing greater than Him!  Ephesians 1 says that Jesus has been seated FAR above all rule, authority, power and dominion.  There is no other that is worthy of our full allegiance.

Last comment on this song is in regards the chorus.  This is our declaration that we recognize who He is and that He is worthy.  He is the holy King and we surrender to Him.

Much Love,
David


Comments

Popular Posts